All Saints' Anglican Church

325 Stanmore Road, Petersham

Alfred Hunter 1886 (2/18 tubular-pneumatic)




From SOJ March 1975, June/July 1981, October/November 1987, Autumn 2001, Winter 2001:

All Saints' Church is a fine red-brick church built in the period 1870-1880. The organ was built in 1886 by Alfred Hunter of London, at a cost of 750 pounds, and was the first organ Hunter sent to Australia using a new patented coupling action for the Swell to Great coupler. It was erected by the Sydney organbuilder William Davidson. In November 1893 a hydraulic motor was supplied from Finchams in Melbourne which gave many difficulties, resulting in an electric blower being installed in September 1911. After several organ builders maintaining the instrument, S T Noad & Son restored the organ for £1,000 in 1964. Griffin & Leggo had added two string stops to the Swell in 1913 (Viol d'Orchestre and a Vox Celeste) but these were removed and sold in 1973 to pay for the restoration of the reeds. Four years later the Pedal was electrified by Anthony Welby who also replaced the pedalboard. This organ is one of three Hunter organs left remaining in Sydney.



The specification is:

Great
Open Diapason
Rohr Flute
Dulciana
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture 19.22
Clarionet

Swell
Double Diapason
Lieblich Gedackt
Gamba
Gemshorn
Piccolo
Mixture 19.22
Oboe
Cornopean

Pedal
Open Diapason
Bourdon

Couplers
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2
II
8


16
8
8
4
2
II
8
8


16
16












(12.15 from middle C#)
TC







(12.15 from middle C#)












Two composition pedals to Great
Two composition pedals to Swell
Hand blowing

Compass 56/30

Tubular-pneumatic action (Pedal electified in 1977)











Photos: Trevor Bunning (Oct. 2007)