Ashfield Presbyterian Church
cnr Liverpool Road and Knox Street, Ashfield

Matanle & Wood 1902 (2/18 mechanical and tubular-pneumatic)



From SOJ February/March 1985, Autumn 1998, Winter 1998:

This organ was built by Matanle & Wood, a partnership formed about the turn of the century. Wood's father was one of the organ builders sent by Hill & Son to install the Sydney Town Hall organ ln 1890. As far as can be determined, this is the only organ by the partnership extant today. The organ was opened by City Organist Arthur Mason in 1902, and commemorated the semi-jubilee of the congregation. At that time it had 16 stops, 902 pipes, 4 couplers and mechanical action to the manuals. The cost was £500. The Vox Celeste had been presented by the choir association. In 1935 two extra stops were provided. The Pedal Open Diapason and Swell Mixture were not provided, or perhaps may have been disconnected or removed at some stage. The Great Wald Flute 4' now speaks at 2' pitch and the Fifteenth 2' was removed and replaced by an 8' string stop. Many of the ranks have great character, especially the Swell Horn and the flute stops. The lack of the two upperwork stops, which appear in name only at the console, prevents the organ from having a full chorus and as a result, the louder sounds are somewhat dull.


The specification is:

GREAT
Open Diapason
Stop Diapason
Viol Flute
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Wald Flute
String

SWELL
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Lieblich Gedact
Echo Gamba
Voix Celeste
Gemshorn
Mixture
Horn
Oboe

PEDAL
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Bass Flute


COUPLERS
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell Octave

8
8
8
4
4
2
8


16
8
8
8
8
4

8
8


16
16
8










(Dulciana in 1985)

(Hor Flute in 1985)
(former Wald Flute 4)
(former Fifteenth 2, not listed in 1998)








(not installed)




(no pipes)
A (pipes added 1935)
A (pipes added 1935)








Compass 61/30

Mechanical action to manuals
Tubular-pneumatic actlon to pedals

Photos supplied by Kelvin Hastie (April 2006)