Brotchie Memorial Presbyterian Church
Mary Street, Beecroft

Hill, Norman & Beard 1937, restored Pitchford & Garside 1980 (2/3 ranks extended, electro-pneumatic)







From SOJ Winter 1998:

This church was named after its first minister, Revd J.A.R. Brotchie, MA who was inducted in 1907.

The organ was built by Hill, Norman & Beard in 1937 at a cost of £575 and was restord in 1980 by Pitchford & Garside, at a cost of $10,680. This involved renewing the electric action, cleaning of pipes, a new blower, re-siting the organ case and several new pipes for the Diapason rank, to provide for the Fifteenth. This tiny three rank organ has provided excellent service over the years. It exemplifies the extremes of extension and duplexing with 17 stops over 2 manuals and pedals from only 3 ranks and 306 pipes.

The three ranks are:

Open Diapason, Stopped Diapason and String.


Organ totally enclosed apart from façade pipes.

Great
Open Diapason
Salicional
Claribel
Octave
Flute
Nazard
Fifteenth
Swell to Great

Swell
Open Diapason
Hohl Flute
Salicional
Flute
Salicet
Salicetina
Larigot
Tremulant

Pedal
Bourdon
Octave
Cello
Bass Flute
Octave Flute
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2



8
8
8
4
4
2
1-1/3



16
8
8
8
4



A
C
B
A
B
B
A



A
B
C
B
C
C
C
works on whole organ


B
A
C
B
B



Balanced swell pedal

Compass: 61/30

 

 




Photos: Mark Quarmby (Nov. 2008)



Unidentified Hill, Norman & Beard organ, c.1930s
[Photograph from the Harold Paynting Collection, State Library of Victoria
cited by John Maidment at http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/181961917]

The original drawstops were replaced later by stopkeys and the console was detached, presumably with additional case paneling to mask the gap. There is a similar instrument at the St Mary's Catholic Church, Thornbury, VIC.