Lakeside Uniting Church

14 - 16 Lakeside Road, Eastwood

 

Formerly St Andrew's Uniting Church
(formerly Presbyterian)

cnr Trelawney and Rutledge Streets, Eastwood

 

S.T. Noad 1951, rebuilt Brown & Arkley 1985 (2/22 electro-pneumatic)
Removed and relocated in present new church building P.D.G Jewkes 2011.

 

In 2006, the St Andrew's church was sold and the organ was stored at the Jewkes Works for re-installation and some repairs, after the new church building was constructed on the site of the Lakeside Uniting Church, also at Eastwood. The former church on this site has become the church hall and is incorporated into a new church complex.





Photos: Alan Caradus (June 2012)

 

From SOJ December 1984/January 1985, Autumn 1996, Summer 2006-2007:

Brown & Arkley rebuilt the organ in St Andrew's Uniting Church, Eastwood in 1985. The instrument was built by S T Noad in 1951 and enlarged by the same firm in 1968. Continual faults in the electrical system, the poor operation of the ventil chests and a restricted tonal output were reasons for the work by Brown & Arkley, which has resulted in what really should be considered a new instrument. The organ is a dramatic improvement over what was there originally.

Most of the old pipework has been re-used and this has been augmented with pipes from a redundant 1948 Noad organ formerly in the Lakeside Road Uniting Church, Eastwood. The Great Mixture III, Swell Piccolo and Quint, and the bass octave of the Fagott 16 on the Pedal consist of new pipes. The Swell Trumpet is an old reed from the Anglican Cathedral in Wangaratta, removed when that organ was rebuilt by George Fincham & Sons in 1983. New slider soundboards with electro-pneumatic action have been fitted and a new swell box provided. The console has been totally refurbished and contains an extensive computerised switching system with four memories for the capture combination action. Double touch stopkeys of the Walker type have been used.

It was considered desirable to retain the original casework which contains memorials to those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice in World War II. The organ was dedicated on July 22 and Peter Kneeshaw presented a public recital on October 22. This project, which raised more funds than were required, was guided by our member, Phillip Lambert, who was the organist and choirmaster of the church.

As of 2006, the church is to be sold and the organ is to be stored at the Jewkes Works pending re-installation and some repairs, after a new church building is constructed on the site of Lakeside Uniting Church, also at Eastwood.







View of organ chamber from console

Photos taken by Peter Jewkes at the time of the organ's removal
(fa├žade pipes have already been removed)


Specification 1968:

GREAT
Open Diapason
Dulciana
Claribel
Principal
Nazard
Fifteenth

SWELL
Gamba
Lieblick Gedact
Gemshorn
Oboe
Tremulant

PEDAL
Bourdon
Bass Flute


COUPLERS
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell Octave
Swell Sub-octave to Great
Swell Octave to Great
Great Octave

8
8
8
4
2-2/3
5


8
8
4
8



16
8














A (1968)
(1951 Harmonic Flute 4' transposed)
A (1968)









B
B










2 pistons per manual; compass 61/30

 

Specification 1984:

GREAT
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture

SWELL
Gedact
Gamba
Gemshorn
Lieblich Flute
Piccolo
Quint
Oboe
Trumpet

PEDAL
Bourdon
Principal
Bass Flute
Choral Bass
Fagott
Bassoon
Schalmai

COUPLERS
Swell to Great
Swell Sub-Octave
Swell Super Octave
Swell Unison Off
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2
III


8
8
4
4
2
1-1/3
8
8


16
8
8
4
16
8
4









S
L
L
S
S
S
New


S
S
S
L
New
New
L
from Wangaratta


S A
L B
S A
L B
New C
S C
S C








Compass 61/30
Electro-pneumatic action
5 pistons each to Great, Swell and Pedal
5 general pistons duplicated by toe pistons
3 reversible pistons for unison couplers
1 General cancel

S = Pipework from old St Andrew's organ
L = Pipework from Lakeside Road organ
A, B, C denote pedal extensions

 







Photos: Alan Caradus (December 2016)