Church of Christ Tabernacle
Metropolitan Road, Enmore

B. 1910 George A. Smith, 2 man, 14 sp. st., mech & tub-pn action


Notes prepared by Mark Quarmby with some information from the Rushworth Supplement to Historic Organs of NSW (p.39):

The organ in this church was attributed to George A. Smith for many years but has recently been confirmed to have been built by George A. Smith by Graeme Rushworth in his Supplement. For many years, after the closure of the city Campbell Street Church of Christ, this church served as the main building for the denomination. It was opened in 1886 and was one of four Churches of Christ in NSW to have a pipe organ (Chatswood with a 1950 Whitehouse Bros, Bexley North with a 1961 Sharp organ since removed to a residence in Berowra, and Rockdale with a 1960 Sharp).

The organ was paid for by Dr Ernest A. Bardsley and his brother John Bardsley Jr. in memory of their parents, Janet and John. It was opened on 21 March, 1910.

With changes to inner city demographics, from 1988 the church became a Korean Baptist Church and the organ was unused and unwanted. Later it was sold to a Fijian congregation when the organ was destroyed whilst being removed by unskilled labour to a basement around 1999. A small number of parts was salvaged in 2000 and moved to storage at Pipe Organ Reconstructions Pty Ltd in Seven Hills.

The specification was:

Great
Open Diapason
Stop Diapason
Keraulophon
Principal
Fifteenth
Clarionet

Swell
Lieblich Bourdon
Stop Diapason & Claribel
Viol d'Orchestra
Wald Flute
Piccolo
Oboe
Tremulant

Pedal
Grand Bourdon
Bass Flute

Couplers
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

8
8
8
4
2
8


16
8
8
4
2
8



16
8






Mechanical action to the manuals, tubular-pneumatic to pedals