Methodist Ladies' College (MLC) Chapel
Rowley Street, Burwood

W.E. Richardson c.1883 (2/8 mechanical)

Continuo organ

H Klop Garderen Nederland 2011 (1/4 mechanical)
8.4.2.1-1/3 (treble only)
transposing A392/A415/A440/A465


From SOJ Winter 1995:

Charles Richardson imported a number of complete organs from his father, W.E.Richardson (Manchester) and was supplied with metal pipes, windchests and other components for the organs he built locally. At least seven organs are known to have come to NSW from W.E. Richardson & Sons and one to Queensland. However, the real figure will never be established, as it is difficult to distinguish between the imported Richardson organs and those that were built here.

The earliest identifiable example of a W.E. Richardson organ in NSW is the one of c.1883 at MLC, Burwood. It was built originally for a private residence in Burwood and was acquired by the Burwood Baptist Church in 1908 from Mrs Amy McKern. The organ then moved to MLC in 1979 where it has since been fully restored by Mark Fisher.

Its specification is:

Great
Open Diapason
Clarabella
Dulciana
Flute

Swell
Lieblich Gedackt
Salicional
Gemshorn

Pedal
Bourdon

Couplers
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
4


8
8
4


16








(grooved bass)















Compass 56/30
Mechanical action
Lever Swell Pedal

 

 

Continuo organ

H Klop Garderen Nederland 2011 (1/4 mechanical)
8.4.2.1-1/3 (treble only)
transposing A392/A415/A440/A465

 

The new chamber organ built for MLC by H Klop from The Netherlands arrived in late november and was delivered by Carey Beebe to St Paul's Anglican Church, Burwood. The organ was then inaugurated in a performance of the Magnificat by JS Bach, which included a full orchestra (including Paul Goodchild, trumpet, from the Sydney Symphony Orchestra) and leading Sydney choristers to sing the lower parts with the MLC Choir.

The organist on the occasion was Ms Stacey Yang, Organist of neighboring St Anne's Strathfield, piano tutor at MLC and student of Kurt Ison.

The college organist, Mr Kurt Ison, was the baritone soloist at the time. The church's Davidson organ was used later for the carol service that followed.

Further details can be found on Carey Beebe's site.