North Croydon Uniting Church (Methodist)
cnr Bay and Byron Streets, Croydon
S.T. Noad 1950, 1 manual, 5 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action
Rebuilt, enlarged & installed in the St John's Anglican Church, Burleigh Heads, Queensland
1992 Ian D. Brown & Associates, Ballina
2 manuals, 7 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action
From SOJ Summer 2006-2007, Dr Kelvin Hastie writes:
The building was a typical "neighbourhood" church serving a small community that walked to worship each Sunday. Built by S.T. Noad in 1950, this organ was one of only a handful built in Australia during the period of rationing that followed World War II, there having been only a trickle of major work since 1935. It is important to note that, according to a plaque affixed to the instrument, it was paid for through fund raising on the part of the young people of the church.
It is very easy to dismiss organs built at this time as being inferior to those built in the 19th century, or those being built today. Owing to serious defects in their tonal design and construction, very few Noad organs are indeed worth restoring, but among the few might be instruments such as this one and the small two manual instruments built for South Hurstville Methodist Church (1954) and St Joseph's Catholic Church, Junee (1955). These instruments were more durable in construction and possessed tonal schemes that were generally better conceived and more pleasing in effect than their counterparts.
While the diminutive North Croydon instrument was little more than a "hymn machine", designed to accompany congregational singing, simple anthems, solos and basic voluntaries, it was still functioning (albeit with decaying electric action components) some 40 years after installation. In 1992 the Uniting Church erected aged-care units on the site and the church was demolished: the organ was removed to St John's Anglican Church in Burleigh Heads, Queensland. At this location Ian D. Brown & Associates enlarged it to two manuals and removed the in-built console of 1950, which had been enclosed by glass doors, an unusual but no unattractive arrangement for the period.
The specification was:
Balanced Swell pedal
Photos: Kelvin Hastie