Presbyterian Ladies' College School Hall
Meta Street, Croydon
William Davidson 1901, restored Pogson 1986 (3/19 mechanical)
© PdL 2006
From SOJ June/July 1986, February/March 1988, Winter 1995:
The PLC organ is one of three three-manual organs Davidson built. The 28 stop organ he built for St Paul's, Burwood is in original condition (restored 2006). Unfortunately the large 40 stop instrument at St Thomas', North Sydney (1882) was altered beyond recognition. The PLC instrument (1901) is the smallest of these three with 19 stops. It was also one of Davidson's last instruments. The organ was paid for with funds raised by students as well as a generous sum provided by the School Council.
The organ was first heard on 19th October, 1901 with an audience consisting of former pupils, parents and friends. From the contemporary documents we are given a very favourable record of how the organ first sounded with its "sweet" tone and what was played. Up until the time of its restoration the organ was in a rather run-down and neglected state.
The organ appears remarkably compact in design and is located in a chamber with a carved cedar front and sides. The case features four flats and two towers in spotted metal. During the restoration the organ was moved forward slightly to allow for more tonal egress.
The organ was restored by Roger H Pogson in 1985-86.
The specification is:
Swell to Great
Swell to Choir
Choir to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Choir to Pedal
Mechanical action throughout
Balanced swell pedal
Four combination pedals for Great.
3 photos above taken with a phone camera (Feb. 2008 Nick Appleton)
Console photos: Alan Caradus (July 2013)