Petersham Baptist Church
The Boulevarde, Lewisham

C W Leggo 1925, 2m., 19 sp. st., electro-pneumatic





Photo: Peter Jewkes


From SOJ February/March 1985

The organ in this church is one of the largest instruments built by C W Leggo, a Sydney builder prominent in the first three decades of the century. Research by Graeme Rushworth shows that the organ was opened on August 30, 1925, at a cost of just over £1,404. The organ was a tribute to Sir Hugh and Lady Emma Dixon, foundation members of the church. The specification was devised by E Bennet North and considerable enthusiasm in the project was displayed by the organist, F H Searl. The organ case was constructed in polished maple and was fitted with tubular-pneumatic action, operated from a detached console. It is interesting to note that the organ was described as a "splendid example of modern ecclesiastical organ design". In 1967 the action was electrified by S T Noad & Son, leaving the tonal aspect of the instrument unchanged, apart from the transferring of the 4' flute on the Great to 2-2/3' pitch. In 1984 Brown & Arkley supplied a new blower and repairs to the pipework and action were carried out later in 1985.

The specification is as follows:

Great
Open Diapason
Clarabella
Dulciana
Principal
Twelfth
2 spare slides

Swell
Bourdon
Violin Diapason
Rohr Flute
Gamba
Voix Celeste
Gemshorn
Piccolo
Trumpet
Oboe
Vox Humana

Pedal
Open Bass
Bourdon
Echo Bourdon
Bass Flute

Couplers
Great Octave
Swell Octave
Swell Sub-Octave
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

8
8
8
4
2-2/3



16
8
8
8
8
4
2
8
8
8


16
16
16
8









Compass 61/30
Electro-pneumatic action



2 church photos: Trevor Bunning (Oct. 2007)