St Ignatius' College Chapel
Riverview Street, Riverview
Charles Richardson 1911, rebuilt Arthur Jones 1976 (2/18 electro-pneumatic)
From SOJ October 1976:
The organ in the chapel was built in 1910 at a cost of £460 by Charles Richardson and installed in 1911 using tubular-pneumatic action. By the 1970s the organ was becoming unreliable and the college organist at the time, Peter Meyer, was able to get it rebuilt. Three string stops were replaced by new upperwork and the vacant slides were used to complete the diapason choruses and add flutes and a trumpet. Substantial parts of the old organ were retained, including most of the stops, windchests and case. A new console was provided and a silent blower. The action was converted to electro-pneumatic. The work was done by Arthur Jones and the organ was re-opened in November 1976.
Peter Jewkes writes (SOJ Summer 2008-09):
The interior of this interesting Edwardian chapel has recently been modernised and reconfigured, with some strikingly modern effects such as a smoked glass altar. The 1911 Richardson organ was rebuilt by Arthur Jones in 1976, with its soundboards and stop action restored by the Jewkes firm in the 1990s. The two bellows however retained their original leather, with serious leakage beginning to occur. The College therefore decided to take advantage of the temporary closure of the chapel and the organ’s bellows have now been re-leathered in traditional white lambskin.
The new specification is:
* (replaces Muted Viol)
* (on separate windchest)
* (on spare slide for Clarionet)
(former Horn Diapason revoiced)
* (replaces Celeste)
* (replaces Gamba)
* (on spare slide for Cornopean)
* (replaces Oboe)
Wind pressures: Great 2-3/4", Swell 3", Pedal 4"
3 thumb pistons to Great
3 thumb pistons to Swell