Kinloch organ when in St Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney |
In 1992, upon the closure of St. Pauls Anglican Church, Rose Bay, the parish decided to donate their organ to St. Andrews Cathedral School, who decided to place the organ in the Cathedral. An organ loft was built above the Sound Booth, adjacent to the main organ console, and the organ was opened with a recital being given by the Headmaster, Mr Allan Beavis on 26th March, 1992. The organ was used extensively for boys only Evensongs and for any choral works needing only light accompaniment. It was also used for early English repertoire in recitals. It served the cathedral well right up until the building was closed for restoration in 1999 when it was given to the parish of St Mark's, Figtree (Hunters Hill).
John Kinloch, with partner William Johnson built the first organs to be constructed in the colonies. This organ is the only remaining organ to be known to have been built by Kinloch on his own.
The organ was originally built c.1845 for St. Andrews Scots Church which was located behind St. Andrews Cathedral where the present day St. Andrews House now stands. The organ was removed in 1885 when a larger organ was erected and was rebuilt in Roseby Memorial Congregational Church at Marrickville. It remained in this church until about 1970 when it was bought by the Sydney organ builders Pitchford and Garside, restored and then placed in St. Pauls Anglican Church, Rose Bay.