The Scots College Chapel
Victoria Road, Bellevue Hill

George Fincham & Sons 1956 (2/8 extended + mixture, electro-pneumatic)




From SOJ Autumn 1997, Winter 1997:

The Scots College Chapel. The pipe organ in the War Memorial Chapel was completed during November, 1956 and was first used for the end-of-term Carol Service that year. The organ was built in the Melbourne factory of Messrs. George Fincham & Sons who supervised its installation in the Chapel. The organ is a two manual electro-pneumatic instrument of 572 pipes built on the extension principle employing eight ranks to provide twenty-one manual and seven pedal stops. It is totally enclosed in a large organ chamber on the north side of the sanctuary with a detached stop-key console in be nave.

The organ has been used almost daily over the last fifty years; leading the singing of several hundred boys during week-day chapel services and it has proved extremely versatile and reliable. It is in original condition apart from very minor repairs over the years.

The 8 ranks used are:

A Open Diapason
B Dulciana
C Claribel
D Trumpet
E Gedackt
F Geigen Diapason
G Salicional
H Oboe



The specification is:

Great
Open Diapason
Claribel
Dulciana
Principal
Wald Flute
Twelfth
Fifteenth
Mixture
Trumpet

Swell
Bourdon
Geigen Diapason
Gedackt
Salicional
Violin Principal
Stopped Flute
Nazard
Piccolo
Double Trumpet
Oboe
Trumpet
Clarion

Pedal
Sub Bass
Principal
Bass Flute
Viola
Octave Quint
Fifteenth
Trumpet

Couplers
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2
III
8


16
8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2
16
8
8
4


16
8
8
8
5-1/3
4
8






A
C
B
A
C
A
A
A
D


E
F
E
G
G
E
E
E
D TC
H
D
D


E
A
E
G
A
A
D






Four thumb pistons to Swell and Swell to Pedal
Four thumb pistons to Great and Great to Pedal


Electro-pneumatic action












View from the chapel

Photos: MQ 2007