St. Clement's Anglican Church,
Cnr Petersham & Marrickville Roads, Marrickville

William Davidson c.1897, rebuilt C.W.Leggo 1928-29, rebuilt Ian Brown 1974 (2/19 electro-pneumatic)



Photo: Trevor Bunning (Dec 2008)


© PdL 2006

From SOJ June/July 1981, June/July 1994

St. Clement's is a fine brick church , and its tall spire can be seen for many miles around. The organ was built by, Sydney builder, William Davidson, c. 1897, and installed in the church in 1900. It had originally been built to be used at St Andrew's Cathedral while Davidson rebuilt the Hill organ there in 1899. It probably had a Swell manual added when rebuilt in Marrickville. The organ's action was tracker to the manuals and tubular-pneumatic to the pedals. Charles Leggo added the Swell Oboe in 1922-23 and substantially rebuilt it in 1928-29, converting the entire action to tubular pneumatic. This lasted until 1974 when it was electrified by Ian D. Brown. New key sets and stop knobs were provided, and the conversion of the original double-rise bellows to two single-rise units took place at this time along with tonal alterations - more upperwork was provided for the Swell division.

The instrument has an attractive diapered pipefront which is somewhat obscured by the arches of the organ chamber.

The specification is:

Great
Open Diapason
Hohl Flute
Dulciana
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Fifteenth
Clarionet

Swell
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Gamba
Principal
Fifteenth
Block Flute
Mixture
Oboe
Horn

Pedal
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Bass Flute

Couplers
Swell Octave
Swell Sub Octave
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2
8


16
8
8
8
4
2
2
II
8
8


16
16
8























(replaced original Vox Celeste 8' in 1974)
















Electro-pneumatic action