St John's Uniting Church (formerly Presbyterian)
cnr Stuart and Coonanbarra Streets, Wahroonga
Pels & Son, Alkmaar, Holland 1961 (3/29 electro-pneumatic)
From SOJ February/March 1984, Autumn 2002, Autumn 2006:
The first organ in St John's was an 11 stop tracker instrument built in 1905 by George Fincham & Son. This was sold to the Hurstville Christadelphian Ecclesia where it survives today, having been restored by Pitchford and Garside in 1981.
In 1961 its replacement was supplied by Pels & Son of Alkmaar, Holland, being a large electro-pneumatic instrument of largely Classical design. It has the German "free combination" system for setting up a General piston. It is the only example of this firm's work in this country. After some 40 years of constant use, the church engaged Pitchford & Garside to renovate the organ in late 2001. The work undertaken included (a) the removal, cleaning and repair as necessary, of all the 1, 856 pipes; (b) the reburnishing and realignment of reed tongues; and (c) the cleaning and adjustment of the action and console components.
Its specification is:
Swell (73 notes)
Detached stop-key console
Photos: Alan Caradus (May 2012)