St Peter's Anglican Church
Windsor Street, Richmond
George Fincham & Sons (Melbourne) 1904 (2/11 mechanical and electro-pneumatic)
From SOJ August/September 1993, December1993/January 1994:
The organ at St Peter's Anglican Church, Richmond officially dates from 1904, but was acknowledged at thge time as containing second-hand parts from another organ (c.1880), including soundboards, action, bellows and about half the pipework.
Over the years an Oboe had been added but this was difficult to tune and blocked other pipework so was removed in the restoration which was carried out over several years in stages by Peter D.G Jewkes. The original Fifteenth had been replaced by a neo-classical Dutch Principal 2'. This was fortuitiously destoyed by painters redecorating the church so was replaced in 1991 with a new rank in the Fincham style.
Peter Jewkes adds: (March 2010):
"We restored the organ in 1990, including bellows, soundboards, action and pipework. The removal of the unoriginal Oboe also permitted the reinstatement of the wooden bass pipes of the Swell in their correct position at the rear of the Swell box, having previously been slung from the ceiling to make space for the added stop! The Fifteenth dates from just after this time.
The action is mechanical throughout – the 1970s Pedal electric action was discarded at the time of the restoration and new wooden tracker action made.
Much of the pipework, the keys and manual soundboards (unusual 61 note compass) are older than 1904, with the rounded sharp keys possibly suggesting F & A origins."
The present specification is:
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Three composition pedals to Great
Lever swell pedal
Mechanical action to manuals
Electro-pneumatic action to pedals
Photos: Trevor Bunning (July 2012)