St Stephen's Anglican Church
252 High Street, Penrith

Charles Jackson 1874, rebuilt Brown & Arkley 1977 (2/14 mechanical and electro-pneumatic)







Photos:  Trevor Bunning (July 2012)


Charles Jackson built his second organ in 1874 for St Luke's Anglican Church in Sussex St, Sydney. This small church was a branch church of St Philip's, Church Hill and was opened in 1866 and closed in 1905. The organ had one manual (the present Great) and a wooden Violon 16' on the Pedal. With the closure of St Luke's, the organ was sold and bought by St Stephen's Anglican Church, Penrith for £70. George Fincham & Son removed, enlarged and installed the organ at St Stephen's in 1906. The additions, recommended by organist Frederick Morley, cost about £80. The additions consisted of a four stop Swell and a Bourdon to the Pedal. About 1962 the Open Diapason display pipes were replaced with new ones by Hank Goris from Pels & Zoon which were configured differently to the originals.

The organ was maintained by Griffin & Leggo and later by Charles Leggo from 1916 -1949. It was extensively rebuilt by Brown & Arkley in 1977 when the pedal compass was extended and placed on electric action.


This organ has been digitally sampled by Nicholas Appleton and his project can be found by clicking here.

For musical demonstrations please go to virtuallybaroque.com


 


The specification is:

Great
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Wald Flute
Twelfth
Fifteenth

Swell
Gedact
Gamba
Octave
Oboe

Pedal
Bourdon
Violon

Couplers
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

16
8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2


8
8
4
8


16
16









(grooved bass)













(wood)






Compass 56/30

Mechanical action to manuals
Electro-pneumatic action to pedals
Balanced Swell pedal
Concave and radiating pedalboard

Information from Rushworth "Historic Organs of New South Wales" (Hale & Iremonger 1988).














Two photos above show the organ in the 1970s at the time of its rebuilding






Photos:  Trevor Bunning (July 2012)