St Stephen's Anglican Church
Bellevue Park Road, Bellevue Hill

S.T. Noad 1939 (using parts from another organ), (2/13 electro-pneumatic)


From SOJ Autumn 1999:

The origins of the organ in St Stephen's are not clear.The church opened in March 1928 replacing a former building known as St Stephen's, Edgecliff in Edgecliff Road, Woollahra. It seems that the one manual "Positive Action Pipe Organ" purchased from a Mr Bryant in 1913 was relocated into the new building. In 1938 a decision was taken to install a new pipe organ following a trial of a Hammond organ in the same year. Eventually a decision was taken to accept the offer of S.T. Noad of Concord for the reconstruction of an old organ at Palings Music Store with additions for the sum of £525. Nothing seems to be known about the organ at Palings other than that it was a one manual instrument. the additions proposed by S.T. Noad were the construction of a new Swell organ and a Flute 8 for the Pedal. The proposed specification in the contract was:

Great
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Twelfth
Fifteenth

Swell
Viol d'Gamba
Lieblick Gedact
Flute
Oboe

Pedal
Bourdon
Flute

Couplers
Swell to Great
Swell Octave
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

16
8
8
8
4
2-2/3
2


8
8
4
8


16
8


















(from Great)
(now labelled Cornopean)



(addition)








The building of the organ was delayed until 1939 due to a lack of suitable craftsmen and the pressure of work on the Sydney Town Hall organ. By 1966 the organ was in a poor condition and quotes were obtained from S.T. Noad and Hill, Norman & Beard of Melbourne. The quote of HNB was accepted and the work carried out in 1967. Work was limited to cleaning, releathering split pneumatics, regulating actions and tuning for the sum of $456.00. The organ appears to be unaltered since that date although the Swell reed stop is labelled Cornopean.