St Vincent's Catholic Girls' College
Rockwell Avenue, Potts Point
George Fincham & Sons 1914 (2/8 electro-pneumatic)
The resonant chapel was recently restored and has a timber barrel vaulted ceiling and transepts. The organ is located in the Southern Gallery (liturgical west) and the console is found up the front in the Eastern transept. The organ was electrified at some stage by S.T. Noad & Son, and possibly this was when the console was placed down the front.
The specification is:
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
© PdL 2006
In 1858, the Sisters founded the first primary school at Tarmons, Potts Point. Known as St Vincent's, it received full Government approval in 1861, which meant that the sisters and trainee teachers under their direction all received a salary. Likewise, the Government paid for equipment, books and other necessities. The first two Principals, Sister Alphonsus Unsworth and Sister Aloysius Raymond set the school on a firm foundation but both regrettably died at an early age. When Mother Francis McGuigan took over the school in 1865, she brought new energy and vision and the school continued to thrive along with the secondary school added to it in 1870.
Information from Rushworth "Historic Organs of New South Wales" (Hale & Iremonger 1988).