Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church
Avoca Street, Randwick
Unknown builder and date, 2/11 mechanical
From the appearance of this organ, it would seem to date from 1860 or earlier. It has been changed over the years and was possibly rebuilt by William Davidson. The Swell was originally short compass but now extends down to bottom C. The character of the Gothic-style case suggests the work of Bevington, as does the stop layout with the Great and Swell stops reversed. Several of the stop labels are missing and the organ is no longer played.
In the documentation by John Stiller, he suggests the organ is not by Bevington, etc., but by amateurs, using parts from older organs (eg original 37-note Swell). He notes some pipes are definitely Fincham and others Davidson and that the key cheeks are by Davidson. His specification is as follows (quoting a stoplist noted by David Kinsela c.1961):
Gt: Open Diapason 8; Stopped Diapason 8 (now Hohl Flute); Dulciana 8 (now Flute 2, cut-down Fincham pipes); Principal 4; Flute 4 (pipes marked Flu Gt)
Sw: Lieblich Gedact 8 (now Stopped Diapason); Salicional 8 (now Gamba); Voix Celeste 8 (now 15th, but Stiller notes it is a cut-down Fincham Dulciana); Flauto Traverso 4 (now Principal 4, Fincham pipework); Oboe 8
Ped: Bourdon 16
There are 12 open wood pipes stored in the corner of the gallery.
The organ was removed by Mark Fisher (Feb 25-26, 2008) [PdL]
The current specification is:
Swell to Great
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Lever swell pedal
© PdL 2006
Information from Rushworth "Historic Organs of New South Wales" (Hale & Iremonger 1988) and Pastor de Lasala (2006).